To install a website using self-hosted WordPress source code, in addition to having a domain name, first you must have a host to store your data. In this article, I will talk about the concept of host for beginners so you can proceed to buy a host through this guide.
What is host?
Host is a computer can be accessed two-way (receiving and sending outgoing connections), the computer that we talk about means a web server (also called Web Server) may contain website related data including source code, uploaded data (images, media, etc.) and database (database – data generated during your process).
But that does not mean, you will own a computer when renting a host. There is three basic type of “host”:
- Dedicated Server (physical server) – You rent an entire web server. This solution is for large websites, with hundreds of thousands visitor daily.
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) – You rent a private server but this is only a virtual machine created by a physical server, you are can manage everything but performance is less than the physical server physical. This solution suitable for websites with vistors arround from 8,000/day to 100,000/day.
- Shared Host – is a host package and set up by a Dedicated Server or VPS, already installed the necessary applications to make a website. This is the type you will start using right now because it is easy to use and cheapest
Host requirement for wordpress
To run a good WordPress website, your host must meet the following conditions:
- Using the Linux operating system.
- minium PHP version 5 or higher
- minimum mysql version 5 or higher
Those are the minimum requirements, but if a host can run the WordPress website well without errors, it needs a lot of other requirements, but I can’t list it out to avoid you wasting time to learn, because as long as you buy hosts from the vendors I recommend, then surely your WordPress website will run well.
Where to buy hosts for wordpress
Which hosting provider good for WordPress
- StableHost (recommended for newbies) – Cheap hosting provider but extremely good quality, suitable for first time host or new website users.
- A2Hosting – Although the host price will be much higher than StableHost, you will get what you deserve for the price. Good speed is the strong point of this provider.
- InmotionHosting – This provider is known for being at the forefront of applying new technologies to customers, good support and speed are also very good.
- Site5 – Server support available in Hong Kong and Singapore